Monday, January 25, 2010

My problem with craft stores...

For me, going to the craft store (I won't name names) is a nightmare. I finally realized why tonight. It's all about choices. There are too many. Whenever I think of how great it would be if I would just do scrapbooks and be creative and make memory books of all the great times we're having as a family while the kids are young and would benefit from knowing how special they are and memorable our times together are, I go to the craft store to pick up a few pretty papers to glue all my photos onto. My intentions are right. My desire is genuine. But as soon as I walk in the doors of the store, I'm flooded with anxiety. Why do I have to feel like I'm going to need to buy this:
in order to get a simple little project done? (feel free to buy this off of eBay for $450!)

Have you seen how many aisles are dedicated to scrapbooking supplies? I'm remembering at least 6, not counting the little islands in the middle of the big aisles and the sale aisles at various strategic points throughout the rest of the store with stamps and papers and stickers and machine cutting things....

It's completely overwhelming. I feel like my little project is going to cost too much, make too much of a mess, take too long, and won't look right anyway, because I didn't buy the right colors or the right doo-dahs.

Bah Humbug!

3 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

I don't get the whole mess thing. Sometimes you gotta make a mess. It gets cleaned up in the end right?

SuzanneF said...

1. If I spend the day clearing clutter, it counts against a project if it's likely to make a mess.
2. As messes go, there's a certain amount of anxiety that is associated with them. I can't turn that off. It builds until I either have to quit and clean or run away.

16andunion said...

I totally feel that way in that unnamed store. I just cannot seem to calm down in my heart because there is soooo much. you are not alone.