Thursday, December 17, 2009

To the blonde woman in the parking lot:

You have no idea how timely your comment was today.

For the last several weeks, I've been nearly certain that I'm not cut out for motherhood. Every time my son comes home with a behavior record (we're up to 3 as of today), every time one of them punches somebody, every time I run out of patience for the arguing, every time I have to tell the youngest to wash and then "with soap," every time he whines for a snack, or whenever we're at church. *sigh*

It takes a woman with a much stronger constitution than I have, a woman who is much more fun than I am, a woman who tolerates noise and chaos and messes more than I do, and a woman who is much more energetic and creative than I am.

So, on our way back to the car, in the parking lot of the grocery, when you said, "you're a good mom," you'll have to forgive me for waiting to say "thank you" until you were almost out of earshot. Your comment was too unexpected. I wish I had turned around and run after you to thank you. But since I couldn't help releasing the flood of emotions that I've been carefully protecting lately, it's probably best that I didn't.

Blonde woman on her way to the grocery, for your kind words and generous spirit, "Thank You."

2 comments:

Shay said...

if only more people would notice our efforts as mothers! what a fun/funny post! thanks for sharing. i will be more aware of other good mothers around me and let them know i noticed them!

Sharon said...

I feel so much the same way I wish I had more appreciated comments like that. But when it does happen it's from Strangers and they always catch me off guard.