Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Apologies

While I was looking for school supplies at Walmart tonight, I didn't say "hi!"  I was very tired.  It was a long day filled with errands, new routines, a sick dog, swim lessons, forms to fill out, and a lot of whining, arguing, and disappointment.  Yeah, you're probably too tired now to read further.  Follow your instincts.  

Once I found a parking spot, I kept my head pretty much focused on finding a plastic box, some slippers, and a backpack.  I had my handy shopping bag so that I wouldn't have to lug around a cart or basket that might slow me down.  I'm sorry for not making eye contact.  I was just making sure I had enough time budgeted to stand in line at checkout.

I know you were there, because everyone was.  Who wasn't?  Who knew?  I've never seen Walmart the night before school starts.  I didn't know that we were all supposed to be there.  That if you live within 60 miles of Seattle, you'd be there.  But since I'm sure you were there, I felt guilty for not saying "hi" and for trying to avoid you.  I was afraid you'd slow me down, and I'd get sucked into a vortex of cranky shoppers with sharp pens, scissors, glue sticks, hand sanitizer, and snacks.  I might have become possessed by desperation and "oh, they're out of pink erasers!" defeatism.  So, I just pretended not to see you.  
I'm sorry.  I'll catch up with you tomorrow, after the kids are in school, with their supplies, and snacks, and new slippers, and I've had a shower.

No comments: