Friday, December 28, 2007

White Christmas

When I told Joel it was Christmas Eve, he immediately ran to the window and looked out. "Was he looking for Santa? or Nonny and Pa?" I wondered. No, he was looking for snow. All the descriptions he knows of Christmas have snow in them. It wasn't snowing, and I could see his gears turning: "Maybe mom meant it's almost Christmas." The faith of a little child is impenetrable.
Christmas morning, Santa had come and presents were unwrapped. We had Christmas music, and Christmas Strata. It felt like Christmas to me. Joel again ran to the window and looked outside. I explained that it doesn't have to snow on Christmas for us to celebrate. I felt like I was taking a big, ugly, black marker and drawing all over his visions of sugarplums. We got dressed to go to Jefe's house and Joel starts announcing "It's Christmas! IT'S CHRISTMAS!!" It was snowing big, fluffy flakes just like we all dream about. How amazing! I have to wonder if Joel's faith made it so.
Because of this one day of snow, the "magic" will live on another year in our boys' heads, and I will have a story of faith to tell forever.

No comments: