Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Good News and Bad News

Things happen.

Today, we celebrated the kids' sleeping habits. They didn't wake us up early for a change. Usually they are asking to get in bed with us at all hours of the morning. Mostly Jamie. But, equally guilty, Joel would just wake up to pee and never go back to bed. But for a few days they've been doing really well. So we made pancakes for b'fast and nearly missed the bus for school.

Then, Joel lost his first tooth on the bus to school. This has been a much anticipated occasion. I'm sure he was beside himself with excitement all day, because his teacher wrote him up on a Behavior Record, his first. He had been breaking 2 classroom rules, fairly consistently. We knew because report cards came out during parent/teacher conferences and he had less than stellar behavior grades. But today was probably the last straw for his teacher with the addition of another infraction: Throwing his tooth at a student.

Being a parent really stinks sometimes. Having to come up with consequences and then sticking with them. I think we did the right thing. It's just hard. I want a manual that says, if your child does (A), do (B), and he'll turn out like (C).

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Amen sister! I want a manual too. What did you do when you found out about the tooth throwing--because I laughed out loud. Just wondering how you handled hearing that directly from the teacher...

SuzanneF said...

Joel told me when he got off the bus and showed me the Behavior Record, but not before he showed me the missing tooth. I was stunned. I'm sure I reacted the wrong way. He wanted lots of attention for losing a tooth and I wasn't able to give it to him because I was so ticked off that he got written up. We made him write each broken rule 50 times. It took him 4 hours 'cause he kept having meltdowns and dragging his feet on it.
Not a good memory. I wish I had your sense of humor and perspective.

Cassie said...

Oh, sorry it was Joel who had to break the tooth pelting news to you. I thought it would be hilarious to hear that from a teacher: "Excuse me Mrs. Anderson, your son threw one of his teeth at another student today." I just think that would send me into big belly laughs...probably not what the teacher wants to hear.

Sorry for the crummy memory at least you'll both remember it. I cannot remember the situation surrounding Lorien's first lost tooth. I hope I put it in her journal.